Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Diabetes

Today was my gestational diabetes class. It's out at Desert REgional (30 min away) and was supposed to start at 10 but started 30 minutes late. Lame. I apparently was the only person that did research on anything. They went over what gestational diabetes is, how we get it and nutrition and keeping it under control. Basically as a pregnant women, your hormones are all wacky and prevent you from producing enough insluin to balance out sugar intake. Also your placenta can prevent you from making it. It's all very strange. Anyway, as we are now, I will not need to take medication, we'll be controlling it with diet and exercise. Since my feet are like balloons and often hurt to walk on, I'm not sure exactly what exercise I'll be doing but I'll figure something out. Anyway, so she went over things to eat and not eat and stressed that they know no one is perfect and that making good choices and keeping my blood sugar pretty even is the most important. So I'm supposed to eat every couple hours, no fruits or milk in the morning and stay away from the obvious candies and such.
We got two goody bags while at the place. One had formula, coupons, milk holders, a insulated bottle holder and a teeny tiny diaper that just looked so little and cute. It looked like it was for doll not a baby!

I also got my blood testing kit, which comes with the tester, the poker stick and strips.  It's not the worst thing in the world but the first time the anticipation was brutal. I thought it was going to hurt MUCH more!
 
You prick your finger, plug the strip in the machine and put your blood on here. Here's a bloody strip:

And here's my owie fingers:

I'll go back next week for her to look at my stats and make sure I'm not all over the place. I need to go grocery shopping and buy some healthy snacks, bc I don't have much morning stuff. I always ate cereal. Which is like all sugar (that's why it's delicious).
So bloody fingers crossed that we have this all under control, that the baby stays healthy (and doesn't grow huge) and that this goes away when she's born!

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea you had to do all that for gestational diabetes! Sounds so stressful!! I'm so sorry you have to deal with this. You're a strong cookie and I love you and in a few quick weeks baby will be here and it will all be worth it! Keep staying positive!
    -Audrey

    ReplyDelete