Monday, September 19, 2011

Dublin

Sunday Brendan and I went to a little meeting here at the time share, where they talked about tours and things to do in the area. We signed up for two tours and decided to drive to Dublin and spend the night. We got there early afternoon. I've been driving fine on back roads and freeways, but driving in Dublin put my crazy wrong side of the road skills to the test. People drive a little crazy (like in any big city) but we made it in and out in one piece. Once checked in we decided to go to the Guiness factory. My boss Dennis had told me to take the tour and be sure to go to the very top, so we did. It was pretty interesting, a really cool old building and lots of infomation. I'll be honest though, I'm not a big fan of Guinness. It's too...... beer-y. But the very top of the building has a 360 view of Dublin and points out different points of interest. It was really neat!After that we walked around for a bit and wandered Dublin. It was Sunday so lots of the shops were closed but there was still a lot to see. Our hotel was across from an amazing huge church. It's the spot everyone goes to to celebrate New Years Eve in Dublin. While we were there Dublin won the all Ireland rugby match so everyone was in High spirits! We decided to get dinner and made our way to the Brazen Head. It's the oldest pub in Ireland, a pub has been on the spot since like 1198 I think. It was pretty awesome. The bartender was very nice, talked to us a bit. There's a ton of dollar bills taped to the walls and when we asked about it he said Americans like to give them money haha. There was some pretty cool stuff up there. Like on the Canadian money. The guy who's signature is on it, he came in a couple weeks ago and signed a bill to put up there! We got dinner and then made our way into another room to watch some musicians. It was so fun, everyone was singing, the musicians were just sitting in a booth hanging out. A funny older Irish lady sat in front of us and was trying to be a matchmaker for a Norwegian man and a German lady. Turns our the German lady was married. oops haha. When we told her we were on our honeymoon she was so sweet, saying oh bless you! and telling us things we should see and do. After the music was over, we were pretty tired so went back to our hotel.
Woke up early-ish and made our way out. I really wanted to go to the Trinity College library so we took the tour. They have this REALLY old book called the Book of Kells there that is just amazing. They have stuff on how it was made and what stuff in it means. It was all well and good but then we walked upstairs and I almost died. The library is seriously one of the most beautiful things I have EVER seen. It honestly brought tears to my eyes is was so amazing. Sadly, we werent allowed to take any pictures, but you can see some pics here
After that we just walked around a bit and I made a doggie friend. His name was Louie F. Vuitton. He was SO sweet! i was in love:We then just walked and explored the city. Found a little shopping district and saw some really amazing buildings. Sadly our Dublin tour had to come to an end so we made our way back to our car and started the couple hours back home. Along the way we stopped for gas and took a back way home. We were driving along when I suddenly saw a cemetery! We stopped to check it out. It was just on the side of the road, by houses, kind of over looking a lake area. It was FANTASTIC. Brendan took some pictures then I begged to use his camera and took some more. I could've spent hours there taking pics. Here's a few we took:
And now we're back home. We have tickets for a dinner and a concert tonight. It's a local folk singer and band and a dancer. Brendan is feeling a little under the weather. Seems his bangers and mash from last night didn't sit well with him. Poor guy. OH i forgot, while we were in Dublin we went to the "chemist" aka the pharmacy to get some medicine. You have to talk to a chemist/pharmacist just to get over the counter medicine. You tell him whats wrong and he picks out whats best for you. Good thing because NONE of it is the same as here. I got some Day Nurse medicine :-)
Off to get ready for our dinner show!

6 comments:

  1. This is so fun hearing about your days events and experiences. Almost like a blow by blow account.
    Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you are having a good time and seeing everything you can. Can't wait to read your post about the Moher Cliffs, how beautiful. I also enjoyed the pictures of the old gravestones; I love to poke around graveyards myself.

    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy that you are blogging! Ermes likes hearing about your trip too! :) Enjoy your time. I'm happy I get to see you before anyone! Teehee!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome graveyard pics!! I need to make some PC's out of some!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! Mckayla lanes sister went to Trinity college! You know they have a Druid That works in that library! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mom I have some more pics too, I'm sure you can find some good ones!
    Amber - It's so funny, I thought it sounded familiar and I kept thinking, I think this is in a book I read HA! It's so so amazing.

    ReplyDelete