Friday, September 16, 2011

Last full day in London

Today, we walked. and I mean WALKED! We walked everywhere! Walked down to a little cafe down the street for breakfast. Interesting note: if it says Bacon, they mean ham. And no where has regular coffee, so Brendan orders Cafe Americano which is espresso and water. But me? Well I'm in tea heaven. I LOVE IT. Tea is cheap and no one looks at me weird when I order it or asks me if I want herbal. I don't know if it's the tea or the water or what but they make it so damn good here. As I said, tea heaven.
We took the tube to the Tower station today. We're pretty good at the transit, it's really simple to use if you just know where you're going. There's these bikes you can rent too that we REALLY wanted to rent and kept trying but they wouldn't take our CC. It's a pound to ride around on them for an hour. But we didn't get to :-(
So first we went to the Tower of London. We followed a Beefeater around for a while to listen to him talk. He was funny and had SO much information. Did you know Beefeaters LIVE in the Tower? Like at 10pm every night, they lock up the tower and all the beefeaters and their families stay in there. We could see where they live from one part, kind of crazy.
We wandered around the whole area for a couple hours. Especially the Crown Jewels. You can't take pictures in there but it's so so amazing. The size of the stones on the crowns and stuff were just insane. and so sparkly. And they were actually quite economical. A lot of crowns were made using hired jewels so they would be removed after coronation. Or they would re use jewels from old crowns. It's weird to see some of them with everything taken out. And some of them, when they used them they thought they were precious stones but it didn't always mean they were! like there was a stone called I think the Black Prince's Ruby that is actually spinell. And there was a HUGE "aquamarine" that turned out to be glass. HA
After that we walked across Tower Bridge and just walked for a while. We made our way to Churchills War Rooms and took the tour there. It was really interesting to see it all set up the way it was. Tiny little rooms, maps EVERYWHERE.
Then we walked around Buckingham palace and went to lunch then Harrod's. That place is CRAZY. So so so expensive. Brendan looked at all the jewelery and we talked to one salesguy for a while. He turned out to be a jeweler too and was talking to us about everything and showing us all these pieces. I'm sure he knew we wouldn't be buying anything but I think he liked talking to people that knew stuff.
Both our feet are like FALLING off now. I had a blister on my heel and I wish I had brought my flips with me. It's been such beautiful weather I could have worn them! It's supposed to be colder in Ireland, but London has been sunny and warm. Apparently Brittney Spears is here too. She's following me. First Vegas, now London. REALLY BRITNEY? LEAVE ME ALONE.
Tomorrow we leave for Ireland. I would really super love to explore England more, like the countryside, Wales (more importantly, Cardiff and the rift action there), Stonehenge, Bath, etc etc. Maybe another time. Maybe for our first anniversary :-)
Onward to Ireland!!

5 comments:

  1. Isn't that the leaning tower of Big Ben?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why yes, yes it is. Quite famous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a good time!! Miss you lots!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cool! I can't wait to see more pictures! Looks like you are having a blast! Keep enjoying yourself!
    -Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed reading your blog. Sounds like your both
    enjoying everything...Soak it all in especially the expensive jewelry...Have a great time in Ireland...Can't wait to see pictures...Miss you Renee...Love, Lani

    ReplyDelete